Search This Blog

Monday, October 17, 2011

Lollie's now closed

I had my last meal at Lollie's on the Lake yesterday. The restaurant was packed with regulars that had become daily fixtures. Lunch was the last meal the restaurant served before closing the doors for good.

Susan, Bridget, Linda, Lollie and the rest of the staff were serving their last meal to beloved customers. There were hugs and tearful goodbyes. Lollie and her sister Lee Ann opened Lollie's less than a year ago. Lee Ann's recent departure left a big hole in the business.

Although Lollie's did a good breakfast business and a fair lunch trade the numbers just weren't there to justify paying the high rent in the strip mall. Many Village clubs are once again hustling to find a new venue for meetings.

Lollie's was in the DeSoto Center off Calella Road. The location housed the very first restaurant in the Village, Mary Lee's. There were several incarnations of Mary Lee's then the restaurant became Ramona's and most recently Lollie's. Lollie's was the first to serve only breakfast and lunch. The dinner crowd hasn't been much in this location since many other opportunities opened up inside and near the Village.

The one thing that set Lollie's apart was the wait staff. They were thorough, fast and knew their clientele. When a customer walked in the door their beverage was often waiting at a favorite table. The food was always good and served with a smile and heartfelt conversation.

The kindness didn't stop at the door to Lollie's. When I ran into members of the wait staff in other locations they always stopped to say hi and check on how I was doing. They always called me by my name. They became a part of my life.

Bridgett starts at Home Plate today but the other waitresses, bus boys and cooks are still looking for work. If you own a restaurant in the area and are looking for quality employees you should snap up these adorable women. They will be an asset to any business.

I'll miss the convenience of stopping by Lollie's on my way to work at KVRE. But, mostly I will miss seeing Susan during the week and Linda on the weekend. I will see Bridgett at Home Plate. Good luck to all the former employees of Lollie's. You gave me the feeling of breakfast at home with friends and no clean-up. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment