Search This Blog

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Political podcasts

U.S. Congressman Mike Ross of Prescott has made his weekly radio reports available directly to his constituents as podcasts through iTunes, the popular digital media player by Apple. Ross currently records a weekly radio report and posts it to his website, but now the Congressman says people can subscribe to his radio report directly through iTunes and download the podcast to their digital media players, such as iPods and iPhones.

“My primary role as Congressman is to listen to my constituents, answer their questions and keep them informed on the issues in Congress and how they will impact their families,” said Ross. “Each week, I record a three to four minute radio report discussing an important issue or bill before the Congress and my position or work on that issue. Now, anyone who’s interested can subscribe to that radio report in iTunes as a podcast, download it automatically to their iPod or iPhone and listen to it on their way to work. Whether it’s through letters, e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube or now podcasts in iTunes, this is simply another way I am working to keep my constituents up-to-date and informed about the issues in Congress.”

Those interested in subscribing to Ross’s weekly podcasts can do so by visiting his website at ross.house.gov/podcasts or by searching for “Congressman Mike Ross” in the podcasts section of the iTunes store. All podcasts are free. The podcasts are still accessible even without iTunes and can be downloaded individually at ross.house.gov/podcasts and played with any type of digital media player. Ross also sends the text of the podcast out as a weekly e-newsletter, which constituents can subscribe to at ross.house.gov by clicking on the e-news icon.

“I still believe the most effective way to listen to the people I represent is by coming home and visiting with them. That’s why I never moved to Washington and why I come home after the last vote each week. It’s also why I continue to hold town hall meetings across my district – at least one in every county every year,” said Ross. “These podcasts are simply another way I can reach out to the people I represent. Working families have busy lives and I’m trying to make a lot of information available in a variety of ways to help as many of my constituents as I possibly can.”

In addition to his podcasts, Ross says he also tries to keep his constituents informed through his website at ross.house.gov, Facebook at www.facebook.com/RepMikeRoss, Twitter at www.twitter.com/RepMikeRoss and YouTube at www.youtube.com/RepMikeRoss.

Ross, however, says that while these digital mediums are great new ways for him to reach out to the people he represents, he still encourages people to visit, call or write his office when they have a problem with the federal government or when Congress considers an issue they care about.

“Attending a town hall meeting, calling your Congressman or writing a letter are still some of the most effective ways to get your voice heard,” said Ross. “Our democracy requires that people get involved and I want to make doing so as convenient as possible by being as accessible as possible. As challenging are the issues we face, hearing from those I represent is the most effective way I can do my job as a Congressman.”

Anyone can dial Ross’s office toll free at 1-800-223-2220 or write to him at Office of Congressman Mike Ross, 2436 Rayburn House Office Building, Washington, D.C. 20515. Ross also has offices in El Dorado, Hot Springs, Pine Bluff and Prescott and all are open 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except for federal holidays. For a complete list of office locations, call 1-800-223-2220 or visit ross.house.gov/contact.

No comments:

Post a Comment