Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

More than one medical power of attorney may be good idea

I'd never been to Saline Memorial Hospital before yesterday.
Recently, our neighbor, Kitty King, was placed in the lock down unit at Southern Trace. Her dementia and Alzheimer's was finally at the point where her nephew had to do something about her. You may remember Kitty from the police reports, she was the woman hearing singers on her roof. There were multiple reports of her imaginary choir on her roof. The only comforting thing about it, the music was hymns. Sometimes it was a lone tenor singing but mostly it was a mixed choir. She also thought her house was broken into several times and a burglar took things. She always found her missing items but assured us the thieves broke in to return them.
Yesterday, I got a frantic call from Southern Trace. My husband is one of Kitty's three contact numbers in an emergency. The caller explained he had not been able to find any of Kitty's contacts at home and he couldn't tell me what was wrong. Finally, he agreed to call my husband right back and leave a message on our telephone machine. Kitty had fallen and broken her hip and had a laceration on one of her arms. My husband was out of town. Both of her other contacts including her nephew with her medical power of attorney were also out of town. No one was reachable.
I called the hospital to find out how things were. Kitty wasn't even there yet. The Southern Trace worker had called as she was being loaded into the ambulance. It finally dawned on me the call was like a relinquishment of responsibility. I headed out to the hospital. I was allowed to sit with Kitty in her emergency room. She told me my presence was a comfort to her. Not much apparently because her blood pressure escalated as each test was done. Every time they took her blood pressure she said again, "oh, I thought someone just grabbed me. It hurts." Each time her blood pressure was taken it got worse. By the time she was moved to her room and moved onto her bed it was 232/117.
She received medicine to lower her blood pressure and slowly it came down. A weight was tethered to her leg to take the pressure off of her broken hip. But still, every five minutes she wanted to get up. She could not understand that her hip was broken and she couldn't go anywhere. Because of her Alzheimer's the conversation was new and fresh for her each time.
Before I left the hospital I was made aware her nephew, the only one with a medical power of attorney, had not returned any calls. Kitty needs a blood transfusion and surgery for her hip. She is stuck in limbo land until her nephew gives consent for further treatment. How cruel. The hospital workers could only keep her comfortable and keep her from injuring herself further.
This morning I am off to keep her company. But, before I go I think I am going to sign a half a dozen medical power of attorney forms so that someone can keep me out of limbo in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment