Search This Blog

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Dealing with the aftermath of the tornado

With an EF1 tornado in my Village I am like everyone else, freaked out. Unlike two thirds of the Village I have electrical power. After two nights of sleeping on the floor of my pantry I slept in my own bed last night. I slept 12 hours with memories of living through Hurricane Katrina dancing through my dreams.
For those of you without power but with wonderful hand held devices keeping you in touch with the world, the Coronado Center is serving Red Cross meals. Mountainside Methodist is open for you to take a cool break and have a cup of coffee. The Coronado Fitness Center has free showers but you must bring your own linens and toiletries.
Each morning the POA decides whether there will be garbage pick up or not. The decision won't come down until later in the morning. Listen to KVRE for information about closures, garbage pick-up and available help. KVRE is at 92.9 FM. If you need to report a closure call 922-5678 and I will get it on the air.
FEMA entered the picture in Garland County late yesterday. I will find out how much help FEMA will be to our gated community as soon as possible. According to the Garland County ordinance passed after Hurricanes Ike and Gustave FEMA will help in the clean up of the Village. We will see.
The Arkansas National Guard is helping out outside the gates.
Listen to KVRE for the latest information.
Yesterday First Electric Cooperative was cautiously optimistic it could have Village power back on by lake last night. Late yesterday afternoon First Electric issued a statement, because of the extensive damage in the Village it will take until today to get power back on. Entergy is still saying it will take days to get the power on.
In my personal experience as a Katrina survivor I will tell you now, empty out your freezer and refrigerator. Rotting contents will ruin your appliance. Take everything to the Recycle Center on Cloaca as soon as possible to keep the stench out of your house and neighborhood.
Finally, if FEMA offers free counseling to victims of the storm, take it. You have been through a disaster and it is not something to take lightly. Talk it out and sometimes medication is required to cope. Take it. Life is too short to live in trauma.

No comments:

Post a Comment