Search This Blog

Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year resolutions

It is that time again for New Year’s resolutions.
For the last few years my resolutions have been centered around making myself a better person by being less wasteful. My feature resolution four years ago was to give up corn syrup. I did exceedingly well and would like to try that one again. Corn syrup is not a naturally occurring product and I have incorporated more organic products in my diet. I make all my own bread and tend to stay away from prepared food on the frozen foods aisle. My family eats better and we reduce our output of packaging materials in the garbage.
The big resolution three years ago was to stop buying so many books and to read all the reading materials at home. I did well but was not able to complete reading my back log of books that year. This year I want to pick up on that one again.
I now have a Kindle and there are many books for free on Kindle. I allow myself unlimited free books. I received a gift certificate at Christmas for Kindle books and I will indulge in a small spending spree. I will try to hold down purchases this year. I will continue to finish reading all the books in the house. I will continue to patronize the libraries, both Coronado and Garland County.
Two years ago my feature resolution was to go greener around the house. I did well that year but would like to keep it on the list for this year, too. My purchases are guided by green sensibilities and I recycle not just my trash but old DVDs, books, clothes, etc. I will endeavor to reduce my ecological footprint this year by making features of my home and lifestyle more green.
Last year the big resolution was to reduce my weight. I didn’t do so well on this one. I am a stress eater and I lost my mom and my job this year. I haven’t gained any more weight and I lost a little just not enough. Instead of putting a quota on weight loss I am going to endeavor to become more healthy this year. I have had the cough crud for the last month and I am sure that has impacted this resolution.
New this year is my resolution to become more organized. I am usually a very organized person but I have let some things slip since I have been ill. My desk has some piles on it that I want to file away. My sewing stuff is out of control and I have pledged not to buy any more material until I use what I have. If I look better I will feel better. A new wardrobe is in the works.
It is very important that I budget my time more effectively this year. I love saying yes to people but this year there will be more no’s. I have a few clubs I will maintain membership in but I will not say yes to extracurricular activities this year. I need a break after doing publicity for Heifer and Players. I loved singing with the Chorale and for the Messiah. I am secretly happy we will skip a year performing the Messiah. I almost killed myself being in charge of the computer music for Annie Get Your Gun. No, no, no. This year I will just be a member in good standing. I would like to pick up more speaking engagements this year, those I enjoy.
My family will be the highest priority for me this year. I resolve to improve my relationship with each and every family member. I will stop chanting for my ex-husband to get a catastrophic illness and I will not picture myself dancing on my ex-mother-in-law’s grave any longer. Both are still going strong and all though my ill wishes did not harm them I think they made me a crankier person. Good thoughts for everyone.
A new resolution that should be lots of fun for me is to enter more writing contests. I will continue to add to the blog on a daily basis and to my arts website. I want to travel a bit more, especially to writer conferences.
I hope all your resolutions come to fruition this new year. Eat your cabbage and black-eyed peas tomorrow for lots of money and luck in 2011. Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment