Search This Blog

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Yesterday Once More

This never saw the light of day so I thought some might enjoy the review.
Yesterday Once More hit all the highlights of music of the 1970s and brought back good memories for most of the audience members.
I started high school in late 1970 and graduated in May of 1974. My senior class song was The Long and Winding Road, the final number in the show. This concert definitely spoke to me but I was surprised that everyone in the audience regardless of age remembered the tunes and responded positively to them.
Prior to the concert there was the drawing for the gorgeous anniversary quilt. Just a last name was on the winning ticket. The name sounded like Beeson. The winner was not in attendance. Bobbie Bateman will contact the winner.
Members of the 40th anniversary committee were recognized and then the best part of the evening ensued.
Time flew because we were having fun. Audience members not only enjoyed the show, they became a part of it. It looked like a giant Richard Simmons exercise class with everyone’s arms above their heads swaying to the music. Later on it was heads bobbing sided to side. Rows and rows and rows of bobble dolls moving side to side instead of back and forth. Everyone had fun.
I suspect my experience was fairly typical. I came home from the concert and started downloading some of the songs by the original artists on my ipod. Its been a long time since I lost myself in the tunes of Karen Carpenter, Billy Joel and Neil Diamond.
Mac Frampton, pianist extra ordinaire, Vincent Talarico, drummer and vocalist and Lisa Balkwill, female vocalist, entertained like the long-time showbiz participants they are. They brought years of experience to a fairly new show. They are still tweaking song selections. It is obvious even to me their selections were right on for the most entertainment value.
A favorite part of the evening was The Television Remembers as Frampton and his very percussively talented band played through several television theme songs of the 70s. Audience members near me were calling out the names of the shows as they recognized them. The medley started and ended with the theme for All in the Family, it touched on themes from Happy Days, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Mission Impossible and MASH.
The audience was instructed to clap when they recognized a song from a medley played throughout the evening. There was constant clapping. This was the first time I have seen a Woodlands audience give a standing ovation at intermission.
Time flew because we were having fun. The group’s second half was just as good as the first. Stand outs were Talarico’s time on the drums for the Copacabana and Balkwill’s nod to disco, Last Dance.
The audience urged the performers to an encore. The three rounded out the evening with their renditions of You’ve Got a Friend, Imagine and The Long and Winding Road. The perfect way for me to end the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment